Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thinking of applying to HPSP

     Great!  You've decided to join the ranks as a future military physician and maybe you've even decided which branch to apply to.  Next up?  Contacting a recruiter.
   
     If you're really certain you'll get into medical school before December then I recommend starting the process after you interview.  You don't need a medical school acceptance to talk to a recruiter, but you will need one to get the scholarship.

     I started the process in November after I received my first acceptance.  The first time I went through this process I never got a medical school acceptance, so for the second time around I didn't want to waste a recruiter's time until I was sure.

     My first bit of advice for you all is to do your own research!  Hopefully a recruiter won't lie to you, but they will paint the sunny side of things without stressing the sacrifice.  It's their job to recruit, so listen to them very carefully, but keep an open mind.  Pretty much since I first discovered the HPSP I have researched the program.

     I got most of my information from blogs such as this one, student doc forums, and reading between the lines of contracts.  I learned a lot and will pass on some of my information on to you guys.

     First up, do not apply for the HPSP if you're doing it solely for the money.  The military will pay for your tuition, but it's not free.  You are a member of the military and while your friends will be subspecializing or setting themselves up in a practice, you will be who knows where in the world for four years AFTER residency.  So if you don't think you can abide with the military lifestyle understand that you will be in the military for 11-15 years until your contract is fulfilled.

     Additionally from what I've read the lack of student debt is nice, but since civilian doctors make more money than military ones, it eventually all evens out financially.  Plus if you are planning on having a family anytime in the next ten years think about how that will affect your family/future family.

     I'm not trying to discourage anyone from joining up, but I do want you all to have a point of view that doesn't come from behind a recruiter's desk.  Truth is, I am very happy with my decision.  It was the right one for me.  With thought and research, it could be the right one for you too.    

2LT Lister

   

No comments:

Post a Comment